In order to celebrate this year's National Poetry Day (and also to stay on-brand), I've decided to compile a list of poetry and spoken-word related posts and resources from the Risen archives: enjoy!
Here are some personal favourite poems we've posted:
- The Way She Loves Me by Emily - a touching, tender poem about girls that whisper that they love you '[as a friend]'
- If They Knew by Amelia - a series of pieces by queer people about the struggle between owning your identity and maintaining your relationship with people who don't quite understand its importance
- Flitter Flutter My Little Bird by Hannah Williams - a heartfelt poem about the bond between siblings and Down's syndrome from one of our readers
- Moonstruck by Stella Nico - a poem about the sort of love that seems to halt all sense of rational thought
- Going on Eighteen: Things the People I Love Say To Me by Peyton - a poem about growing up too fast
We particularly love doing group poetry pieces at Risen:
Looking to get started in poetry yourself? Risen's got you covered:
- The Beginner's Guide to Spoken Word Poetry by yours truly - does what it says on the tin; click to read some tips on writing and performing that I, frankly, should learn to keep in mind myself.
- The Beginner's Guide to Keeping a Poetry Journal by yours truly once again - click for some pretty pictures and ideas for writing.
- Support Poets of Colour! - a cheeky handful of poets for the reader just starting out in the world of poetry.